The National Hurricane Center is predicting a high chance of a tropical system developing in the Northern Gulf of Mexico later today, with landfall this weekend. Though there is uncertainty on what the strength of the system will be and the location for landfall, now is the time to get prepared for this year’s storm season. Here is a short list of things to consider while getting prepared:
- Contact your doctor’s office/pharmacy about getting additional medications.
- Coordinate with your dialysis facility.
- Contact your medical equipment provider to get additional batteries for medical equipment
- Charge the spare batteries for your medical equipment.
- If you have a generator, make sure it is in working condition and buy additional fuel.
- Have a gallon of water per person per day and food for 5-7 days.
- Fill up your car with fuel.
- If you have a plan to stay with someone away from your house, contact them now.
- Get batteries for your lanterns and flashlights.
- Make sure you have food, water, and medications for your pets.
Visit www.fbchealth.org/preparing-individuals-with-access-or-functional-needs/ for more preparedness tips.