The Fort Bend County Medical Reserve Corps, in partnership with Fort Bend County Health & Human Services’ Public Health Emergency Preparedness Program (PHEP) and the Homeland Preparedness Project, is offering a no-cost tire recycling opportunity on the following days from 9am to 12pm:
- March 9, 2019 at the Mustang Community Center (4521 FM 521 Rd, Fresno, TX 77545),
- March 16, 2019 at the 5th Street Community Center (3110 5th St, Stafford, TX 77477 ),
- April 6, 2019 at the Rosenberg Annex (4520 Reading Rd. Rosenberg, TX 77471),
- April 13, 2019 at the Four Corners Community Center (15700 Old Richmond Rd, Sugar Land, TX 77498).
The events are subject to rescheduling if weather conditions are poor.
“Discarded tires can breed thousands of mosquitoes and we want to make sure our residents have the opportunity to get rid of them before the start of mosquito season, which begins May 1,” said David Olinger, PHEP Coordinator. The tire drive will serve as a mitigation project to help reduce breeding grounds for mosquitoes that may carry diseases such as Zika, Chikungunya, and West Nile.
This event is open and at no cost to any Fort Bend County resident. The following guidelines apply:
- Only tires will be collected (tires mounted on rims will not be accepted)
- Limit of 8 tires per car
- Limit 2 agricultural tires per car
- Tires are not accepted from local businesses
Residents with other items to be recycled, such as newspapers, plastic bottles, etc., can contact Fort Bend County Recycling Center at 281-633-7581 or visit its website for more information.