WHEREAS, beginning in December 2019, a novel coronavirus, now designated COVID-19, was detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, and has since spread throughout the world; and,
WHEREAS, symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, coughing, and shortness of breath. In some cases the virus has caused death; and,
WHEREAS, the first presumptive positive case of COVID 19 in Texas occurred in Fort Bend County and there are now 6 cases. Now there is evidence of community spread in the Texas region that includes Fort Bend County. In an effort to protect our most vulnerable residents; and,
WHEREAS, extraordinary measures must be taken to contain COVID-19 and prevent its spread throughout Fort Bend County, including the quarantine of individuals, groups of individuals, and property and, additionally, including compelling individuals, groups of individuals, or property to undergo additional health measures that prevent or control the spread of disease; and,
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT PROCLAIMED BY THE COUNTY JUDGE OF FORT BEND COUNTY, TEXAS:
- That a local state of disaster for public health emergency is hereby declared for Fort Bend County, pursuant to section 418.108(a) of the Texas Government Code.
- Pursuant to section 418.108(b) of the Government Code, the state of disaster for public health emergency shall continue for a period of not more than seven days from the date of this declaration unless continued or renewed by the Commissioners Court of Fort Bend County, Texas.
- Pursuant to section 418.108(c) of the Government Code, this declaration of a local state of disaster for public health emergency shall be given prompt and general publicity and shall be filed promptly with the County Clerk
- Pursuant to section 418.108 (d) of the Government Code, this declaration of a local state of disaster activates the Fort Bend County emergency management plan.
- Any individual, group of individuals, or property subject to a Local Health Authority Order restricting the movement of that individual or group of individuals or restricting movement to, from, or within that property, shall limit ingress and egress and take such measures as specified by that Local Health Authority Order.
- That this declaration shall take effect immediately from and after its issuance.
DECLARED this the 12th day of March, 2020.
Fort Bend County Judge